Friday, 21 December 2012

Tribute to my Grandpa Kliever... and a dear friend Anna


Tribute to my Grandpa Kliever


Grandpa left us a tremendous legacy. He was a man of God, and an example to us all.


We’ve all heard stories about him in his younger days, I’m sure.

I remember hearing how he called the operator, just to speak with a curtain Mary Codd; or how they had to run to catch the train on their honeymoon.

One of the stories I remembering hearing, was when my dad was quite young and Grandma was shot. That story always sticks out to me. Grandpa and Grandma let the love and forgiveness of the Lord shine through them, to someone who had done them wrong.


Growing up visiting Grandpa and Grandma the things I remember most, were of us gathered around the breakfast table, and Grandpa would pull out his Bible and we’d have devotions every morning. I also recall Grandpa being a man of prayer, and hearing each one of us prayed for by name.


He was a gentle kind man too… though I do recall receiving one deserved spanking.


Christmas times were always special too, and not because of the gifts, but because of the time together in the living room. Grandpa would read to us the Christmas story, and then we would sing some Christmas hymns.


These things have become foundational things in my life now as well; choosing to forgive others when they have wronged me or my family, and not holding a grudge; choosing to put the Lord first in my life, and to be in prayer for my family.

With my friend Anna age 24 being killed in a car crash just a day before Grandpa passed, it has left me to ponder what sort of legacy each of us will leave behind. We do not know the day or hour our time on earth will be up. How many days have we wasted holding grudges against others, or refusing to live the way the Lord would have us live? Both my Grandpa and my friend have left a tremendous legacy behind them. They lived their lives to the fullest, and all for the Lord, and when he called them, they were ready to go, with no regrets I’m sure.


For those of us left behind, it is hard to say goodbye, but I am glad that Grandpa is in a better place, celebrating Christmas with Jesus, face to face. No more Parkinson’s, no more foggy mind, no more blindness. I think he’s walking and leaping, praising his Lord and Saviour, and I await the day I can join him at Jesus feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment