A Grandfather’s Influence
By S. L. Kliever
I am
blessed with godly men in my life. My father, his father, my husband, my
brothers… and my Mom’s father, my Grandpa Thompson.
Before I
got married, I had the privilege of living with my Grandpa for a couple of
years while working at Bible camp during the summer. I am so glad I had that
time with him. Just recently he was diagnosed with cancer, and it’s terminal. He’s
89 and we don’t know how much longer he will have with us. I do not want to see
him go, but I know he will go to be with the Lord, and that is far better than
suffering down here. But before the Lord takes him home, I want to thank him
for the influence he’s been in my life and the life of my siblings and cousins…
and in doing so I’m going to brag to you what a grand grandpa the Lord has
given me.
Grandpa
Thompson is the closest grandparent I’ve gotten close to. I remember sleepovers
at Grandpa’s farm when we were young. My older brother and I would go spend a
night or two with him, helping him do the chores and it was during one of those
times that Grandpa taught me how to drive at age 9!
He use to
pick us up when he was going on hey or grain deliveries, and we’d get to ride
with him in the big grain truck.
When my
family moved to Manitoba when I was age 11,
the highlight of the year was to go back to Alberta and visit Grandpa Thompson and go
along in the old pickup truck to do chores and feed the cattle.
When I
lived with him, I got to cook his meals and keep the house clean and every
morning by 8 if I wasn’t upstairs, he’s stomp on the floor above my bedroom to
make sure I was awake. I’d come running upstairs and we’d eat breakfast and
then out we’d go to do chores. When I worked out at Bible Camp, I couldn’t wait
till Sunday when I could go to church and see Grandpa, or sometimes I’d get to
go home to Grandpa’s for the weekend.
Even though
I was in my twenties, he always kept a close watch on me. I always told him
where I was going and when I expected to be home. I tried never to stay out too
late, because I think he always stayed up for me. He gave me space because I
was an adult, but he was also protective of me. I know I always felt safe in
Grandpa’s house.
We watched
hockey together, but what I liked best was listening to the preachers on the radio
when Grandpa and I were out doing chores together.
At meal
times, we took turns praying, and I always loved to hear Grandpa pray. When you
listen to someone pray, you hear the heart of the person. You hear sorrow, care,
joy, and love for the people in their lives. And I like to hear Grandpa pray
for his family.
Grandpa’s influence
in my life has been there from the time I was born. He’s taught me a lot by
example. Be honest. Work hard. Love the Lord. Take a day of rest. The
importance of God’s Word in our lives. Go to a good church. Love your relatives
in spite of their quirks. Be hospitable. Be a good neighbour. Take care of what
the Lord has given you. Respect and take care of your livestock. Fix things. Have
a sense of humour.
He loves
all his grandchildren … and baby’s have a special place in his heart. I made
sure I got a picture of him holding my baby daughter so that I can always have
that picture to remember.
Thank you
Grandpa for all you’ve done for us!
We love you!!
S.L. Kliever
No comments:
Post a Comment