Monday, 17 November 2014

Book Review The Sword


Book 1 from the Chiveis Trilogy by Bryan M. Litfin

2045 the world as we know it is destroyed by a deadly virus and nuclear war. There is no more modern world. 400 some years later those who survived are living in a medieval age. Back to the dark ages, if you will. The mountain realm of Chiveis lives in a peaceful environment protected from `outsiders’. They serve gods, but not The God. Christianity has been forgotten, left to die with the ancient world, and the Bible lost… until a mysterious book is found.

We meet Teo, an army captain and professor at the university, as well as stunningly beautiful Ana, a farmer’s daughter. Our two heroes of these stories first meet while Ana is out hunting in the forest. She saves Teo’s life from a bear. Their lives are thrust together in a thrilling adventure from that moment on. Lots of action as the two eventually end up in the `beyond’ feeling Ana’s pursuers. They find a church (from our day or older) and discover a Bible.

When they return home, Teo begins translation and they discover the One true God. The quest then turns to how to expose the evil religions of their land for what they are, and shine light on a dark world. But they have a tremendous foe; the high priestess who rules with an iron fist, controls the king, and uses a black powder to explode peoples homes if they do not obey her gods. She will stop at nothing to crush them.

 

Sounds like a good story, uh? And that’s only the first book. I’ve not read the next two. However… I give it only 2 stars out of 5, and here’s why.

 

First off, the author, Bryan M. Litfin is a professor of theology at Moody Bible Institute. Therefore I thought, hmmm, should be a good read, and in a way it was, lots of action, the storyline/plot is good, and it’s a page turner. Teo is your knight in shining armour, coming to the rescue, time and time again. He’s smart, strong, the type of hero you route for. And Ana is a wise for her years, strong, intelligent, can pull a bowstring, almost fearless, but still has that delicate woman side to her that needs a strong hero.

 But…yes BUT.

Sensuality pops up everywhere. This is not a book for the young, though I wish it was, because the story line I’ve told you thus far is so good. Unfortunately it’s targeted for an adult audience. We never `see’ anything; it would be considered a `clean’ adult book by some, but why, WHY must we always try to appeal to the flesh of young people? This is a professor writing this book. I shake my head. The power of suggestion is still there to take ones mind down a path that is fleshly. Of a secular book we should not be surprised, but as a Christian book, it leaves a lot to be desired. I think it is partly to do with the fact that these `suggestions’ didn’t just happen once. It would have been enough to briefly mention that this sort of bad thing happens and leave it at that, but it had to come up over and over and over.

Writers have a huge power over the reader. We paint pictures in people’s minds as we spin a tale. As a Christian writer, I should never cause another Believer to stumble, and if I paint suggestive scenes in my book, what kind of an example am I setting?

No the main characters do not participate in anything sensual, though Teo is tempted by a seductive married woman. I know that our world is like this, and that young people face this sort of thing on a daily basis, but I still say Christian writers should write more God honouring books, not see how close they can get to the line without crossing it.

“Casting down imaginations , and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” 2Cor 10:5

No comments:

Post a Comment