The publishing industry is never easy to get into. It takes a lot of work and sometimes the right connections for people.
For the Chronicles of Exmoor, I went with Word Alive Press out of Winnipeg Canada, a Christian self publishing company with all the helpful options of a traditional publishing company. It's been a great journey. I've learned a lot about myself and my writing (how not to write!) and have taken what I've been learning (hopefully) to the next level. (Learning to write better and brush up on what I have written)
During the time of publishing my first 3 books, I met and married my husband and had two kids! Yikes! Yes it's been hectic at times, but good! I'm still hoping to get more of the Chronicles of Exmoor published, but at the moment they are on hold, because with self publishing comes the costs. A price many of us new authors have to pay to get into the industry. For the most part, traditional companies don't take on very many new authors and the ones they do have to go through curtain channels etc...
All this to say I've been looking at the e-book industries that is booming in the States and in Europe. A person can get published for free (Yes FREE) by Amazon.com (and a few other companies) and have an instant e-book on the market. The author gets most of the royalties, and the rest go to the company that put your book out there for you. Very easy way to get published.
So I was like, hmmm... I wonder... and started researching it. Ugh!
I'm finding it's not all smooth sailing for ...(get this) a Canadian author, to just jump right in there. Some have and then found out they were paying taxes in two countries and things like that. There is paper work that can be done to avoid that, but it's one more loop for a Canadian author to jump through. So I've been looking for Canadian e-book publishing. Apparently there are a few that do. (A few like 2 companies... maybe). For some reason, Canada is behind the times when it comes to e-book publishing.
If I was to figure this all out, please don't get your hopes up too high. Any further publishing of the Chronicles of Exmoor will probably be with Word Alive because they have been so good with getting my first 3 books out there and they would get them in the market I want them to be in.
As for me doing independent e-book publishing, I would focus on other stories I've written or even (and more likely) children's picture books, and here's the reason why. Children's books on e-book stores are a good hit. The next generation and technology go hand in hand, and it would be a good money making way to go. Which if I could pull it off, and mind you right now that's a big if, I would use the money I make off these children's picture e-books to fuel further Chronicles of Exmoor books.
But right now this is all dreaming and research. But I thought I'd let you all know what this author is up to. So if you think of me.... pray that the Lord will lead. Because I know I've been given a gift in story telling. (maybe not in writing skills, that I have to work on! haha) But who of us is perfect at everything we do, right? But yes, I feel very strongly about using my gift for the Lord, but which way to turn when things cost.
thanks for your time and prayers
S.L. Kliever
No comments:
Post a Comment